Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Painting Manufactorum

Currently a ruin of a manufactorum is part of my Armies of Parade presentation.
"Currently" because it's constantly changing over the last weeks.
Luckily this is a good reason to paint buildings. I bought an imperial sector box last year and build the buildings but never got further than priming them. Only having painted minitures before it was kind of frightening to see how much details you have on a building. I assumed that I'll never finish only one building because it's really dull and you don't see an end anywhere near with a basilica four stories high.
Okay, maybe it's (again) a bad idea to take the pictures of Games Workshop's Shoppage as an example. They are really detailed.


But there's also a video of Duncan Rhodes from GW who's painting a Manufactorum to fit to the Imperial Sector Tiles. Of course I was a little sceptical after I watched it the first time that it is THAT easy to get a proper result. It's a litte bit like watching Bob Ross painting... A little here, a little there... and the masterpiece is done.
But, to be honest, it's really almost as easy like that.

I painted my Drilling Plattform this way and was really impressed how easy you can get a really nice look on your buildings.


With the techniques Duncan describes in the Video, you can paint your building up to a pretty decent look in pretty short time. Adding dirt, rust and wear just make them look more "unique".
So I decided to use the same technique for the next part of my Manufactorum: The smaller corner of the ruin. It's really small...


...but has nearly everything you need: A door, some metalparts, some brass parts. Same procedures as in the video got me finally this:


In the end I only added some Ryza Rust on the metal parts and a little bit of Khorne Red and Evil Sun Scarlet on the two lamps.
That's it.
Maybe it's a good example for one thing I read or heared somewhere else:
It's just terrain. Make it look nice and fitting but don't let it be to impressive. Make some highlights as an eyecatcher and focus on keeping it simple.
With this experience I'm really looking forward to paint the bigger part.

No comments:

Post a Comment