Saturday, 28 March 2015

Hands on with the new GW-Storageboxes

Saturday. Time to meet my trusted Geek-Supplier.
Not just because it's Saturday but because it was Free Roleplayday in Germany.

What did I spy when I entered the shop. Brandnew (finally) boxes of Star Wars Armada and a lonley little black box recognized as Games Workshops Battle Figure Case.
Couldn't wait to get my hands on it, to see what this ugly piece of plastic looks inside.
From my impression, it's really difficult to judge this box.
Yes, it's really ugly from outside. It's more like your carrying around some sort of nuclear bomb than the old cases.
Second the zig-zag interior is a great idea. It's really as flexible as it looks in the White Dwarf and the Videos.
Yes, you can take out all the inner foam to make room for bigger models but (and that's what make me not buy one of these) I'm not sure how to protect them from wandering around within the box. You can not remove the zigzag-layers as it seems so you have to put your precious model onto the zigzag-foam without (maybe you can turn around the upper one...) any protection on the sides.
As a Tyranid-Player I have a lot of big guys with widespread arms and claws and talons, ready to break away at anytime.
I doubt that I can even safely store my Zoeanthropes. Not even thinking about a Carnifex or, worst case, a Tryrannocyote.
Dont't get me wrong, I think this box will do a great job if you have any Codex Astartes Army but my Xenos? I don't know.
I think, I will have to rely an customized Feldherr-Foam to store and transport my Nids around.
But I really hope GW wasn't so clever to have any patents on the zigzagfoam because for small units this seems to be really good and way better than the old system with the little boxes that where perfect for 25mm not to dynamic SpaceMarines Tacticals and (nearly) nothing else.

Thursday, 26 March 2015

Another batch of Termagaunts

I'm surprised!
It doesn't always take a few month to finish a whole batch of ten Termagaunts.
It's even possible to finish them within a week.´



I'm really surprised ;)

One thing I learned from painting Termagaunts: Take brakes!
It was easier to do them after having painted Neuro- and Zoeanthropes.
That was kind of a reward.

Thursday, 19 March 2015

Hive Tyrant - Finecast Version

If there's one thing everybody is cursing about, it's finecast. Or failcast.
I already had fun with glueing together the 2014 White Dwarf and it didn't keep me from buying another finecast one.
A Hive Tyrant. It was on sale...

Pretty quickly I knew why ;)

I had a lot of fun (and liquid green and glue) putting together the carpace and priming the whole model.
It seems like it's sucking in the paint and leaving a lot of white holes you're impossible to reach.


Finally I made it to look like this, but it was a really hard way. And I'm honest, I wouldn't belived you, that it looks like this in the end.


Even when the base was done it was hell of a fight to glue the feet to the cork. They weren't flat so they wouldn't stick to the base.

It was a pain in the ass, but it was worth it. He looks good in the cabinet.

Monday, 16 March 2015

Have a break

I'm so bad in keeping this blog up to date.
And it also seems like I killed some of the pictures from my Google-Account.
But enough with excuses.
I had a little break at the beginning of the year. After finishing so Tyranids I couldn't stand any more white skin and black carpace. So my last hormagauts stood around for weeks before I finished them last week.


Worst thing, close to dull repetitive painting bodies, were the Devourers. After a short research in Rulebooks, Internet and Painting Guides I found out one thing:
There's nothing like the right look for a devourer. So I decided to paint them with a mixture of freestyle, Fleshborer and the old iBooks-Tyranid-Painting-Guide. Last one mainly for the "barrel".
So I ended up with these ones and even these are not one style.



To avoid another looooooong break I decided not to get frustrated with the other 30 Termagaunts. Instead I started with Zoanthropes and a Neurothrope.
Long story short: I took me four days and they were really easy to paint. And finally I've a HQ-Unit for my next Killteam-Match.


Next up for painting: More Termagaunts. This time with Fleshborers.