Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Basic Weathering Tutorial

When it comes to painting I hear one sentence pretty often
Just basic... No fancy stuff!
First of all: I don't have the feeling that I'm doing fancy stuff.
One of things I'm usually doing is weathering. It's grimdark. It's battling for month or years or even longer.
I can't imagine that someone in the middle of a war says:
Well, that doesn't look good! Let's paint the tank so it looks nice again.
Okay, maybe they really do this in a world where bright yellow and blood red are something like camouflage.

But that's not to point today. I like my armies 'used'. Like they've got some hits, got hit by gravel and rocks and stuff like that.


Achieving that look is pretty easy.
You need the following things:

  • Dark Color like Rhinox Hide
  • Bright Metal Color like Runefang Steel
  • Some Pigments (Usually Rust, Black and depending on the underground some bright sand dust one)
  • Varnish
  • 20 Minutes of time.


Step 1: Finish the Paintjob

I'm always completly finish the painting before I start weathering. I also add the transfers and seal them with some matt varnish.


Step 2: Adding some rusted spots

Then I cut down a little piece of a kitchen sponge, make some kind of spongeball and dip it into the paint. I usually use Rhinox Hide and the wipe it on a papertowel to get rid of the excess paint. Then I gently dab the piece and try to hit mainly the edges.


Don't care to much if you have a too big spot you can "repair" that later.

Step 3: Adding metal

Next step is the same with a bright metal paint like Runefang steel. Same thing again with dipping and dabbing.

You've to be even more careful and it's your chance to repair mistakes from step 2.

Step 4: Rusting

I used Ryza Rust a lot but the discovered pigments. I'm mainly using a weathering toolkit from Tamiya with rust, bright and not so bright metal. And a brush like the ones you get for makeup (Just ask a woman...)

Just rub and power over the metal parts with the rusty powder to get a nice effect.


I didn't do that on this one because I forgot, but adding some thin streaks of Typhus Corrosion around bolts and down the plates also adds a nice effect. I paint it with a thin brush and then wipe it off with my finger.

Step 5: Smoke und dust

For Smoke and Dust I've also two pots of pigments from Vallejo (Carbon Black for exhausts and some bright sandy one for the dust) I add with the brush.


Step 6: Varnish

As long as you haven't sealed the model, be careful! It's just dust on your model. Seal it with some varnish and you're ready to go.

In the end all these steps took me less than twenty minutes for all three Kataphron Breachers. And in my opinion it's worth that time to make the models look a little more vivid.

Maybe you give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment