I had this done before in black to paint an board with ash and lava but then decided to go for sand because of my Armies on Parade Contribution. So I spend about three cans of Zandri Dust for the basecoat.
After that I washed everything with Seraphim Sepia. In the end I spend two big pots of it on the board and finished the sand-part with a round of drybrushing with Ushabti Bone. After six tiles my finger hurt. Please GW, make more ergonomic brushes. Or I have to paint less...
Next up were the rocky parts. I painted them in Mechanicus Standard Grey and washed them with Nuln Oil.
I didn't manage to do more that evening so I decided to let it all dry and continue the next day.
But before putting all tiles aside I wanted to get a first impression on the tiles all together so I laid them out on my floor.
I like it so far. It looks nice (even nicer in real) and the additional layer of dryburshing on the rocks will give it a nice touch I guess.
I also exchanged one of the hills for my AoP-Board
I fits in nicely and the only flaw is that I didn't paint the edge grey on the ForgeWorld-Board. But I guess I can live with that.
I'm really looking forward finishing these boards and do some nice things with the skulls. In the end I'll have a good looking terrain and no longer grey or black only.
I'll keep you updated!